The baby in a manger came as a Conquering King to dethrone us and then to enthrone himself in our hearts and lives forever and ever. ~ O Come Let Us Adore Him, Paul David Tripp
Who is the boss? Who is in charge? That is the real question for each of us. As people, we really like to be in control and in charge. The great focus of sinners is self. I want to be in control.
This too was the Devil’s great problem when he fell from heaven. He wanted to exalt himself above God, and take God’s rightful place as ruler. From scripture, we gain insight into into the satanic line of thinking before he was kicked out of heaven: How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, you who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: “I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High” (Isaiah 14:12–14; NKJV).
Do you see all of the self centered statements there: I will ascend…, I will exalt my throne… I will ascend above…, and I will be like the Most High. The enemy’s desire was for control He wanted to enthrone himself above God. And this is the essence of our issue.
We want to enthrone ourselves about our God and Savior Jesus Christ. If you are a Christ follower, we often want to appease Christ while maintaining as much control as possible. We simply want to be in charge. And yet Jesus left his throne in heaven to come and live as one of us, die for us, rise again, and ultimately come to dwell within us on the throne of our hearts. He wants to dethrone us and assume the rule and reign of our hearts.
So, look at these 3 diagrams from Bill Bright and Campus Crusade for Christ, known now as Cru. They describe our condition and struggle for control.
- The Non Christian does not have Jesus in their life. The circle with the chair below represents your life. The chair is the throne, the control center of your life and heart. For the non Christian, Jesus Christ is outside of their life (outside the circle). Self is on the throne as they live a self directed life. Has Christ come into your life.
2. The Christ Directed Life or the Spirit filled Christian. Jesus is fully in control of this person’s life. He is in their life, and He is on the throne. They are seeking to live into submission to Jesus, and seek to be filled with the power of the the Holy Spirit. They are continually yielding their will to Christ, seeking his power and help to live pleasing to God. Jesus came to dethrone self, and live in control of our lives. Does he rule and reign in you?
3. Finally there is the Carnal Christian or worldly believer. This person has trusted and received Jesus, but they find themselves still wanting control. This is true for all of us, and we must learn to recognize our tendency to want to live as our own Lord, taking back the throne of our lives from Jesus. As you can see, Jesus is inside the circle, inside this person’s life, however Self is on the throne and Jesus is at the feet of self. How can this even be? And yet it is. This is the battle for those of us in Christ. Will we yield to our flesh and maintain control or will we continually submit to Jesus and give him the reigns of our life?
So where are you? Which picture best describes you at the moment?
If you are in picture 1, then I encourage you to realize your need for Christ. You need forgiveness. You need new life in Christ and through Christ. You sinful nature separates you from the Lord, and He is outside your life. Jesus died for your sin and rose again that you might be forgiven and restored into relationship with God. There is a prayer just for you in the prayer section to trust Jesus Christ to come in and be Lord of your life. Please pray this prayer of commitment from your heart and let me know!!! I love you and God bless you.
If you are in picture 2, the Christ directed life, then stay humble and continually submitted to Jesus. Humility, confession and repentance, constant seeking, and ongoing dependence upon the Holy Spirit are just a few things that help keep us from seeking re-seize control of the throne. Most Christians living the victorious life still tend to bounce into the issue we find in the picture 3 where we seize to assert our will again over God, but the mature Christian realizes this quickly and repents and submits again.
If you are in picture 3, the worldly/Carnal Christian, then you probably bounce back and forth with a of spiritual discontentment. You perhaps have a true love and desire for Jesus, but you are trying to life life in your power or strength – maybe consciously or unconsciously. Some may want enough of Jesus to get them to heaven, but they have not surrendered enough to bring heaven to earth in their life. Ultimately you are still in the driver seat, or still seated on the throne of your life. You have relegated Jesus to a corner in your life, but are not willing to hand over the keys.
Jesus Christ is Lord of all, or He is not Lord at all. He is not negotiating with you. He is asking for an all our surrender. Like a gentlemen though, he is not forcing a hostile takeover for the seat of your life. You must choose to bow. You must choose to acknowledge your sinful, prideful will, then repent, and surrender to Jesus as Lord. You must ask Him to fill you with the Holy Spirit, but you must remove the obstacles that are the way – pride, self, sin, sins, attitudes. You must confess your dependence upon Jesus. He came as a humble child, but truly is the King who comes to dethrone you as you enthrone him as Lord of your heart and life, forever and ever.
But in your hearts revere (set apart) Christ as Lord. ~ 1 Peter 3:15
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. ~ James 4:7
Prayer 1 – A Prayer to Commit your Life to Jesus and receive Him. Pray this prayer from the heart:
Lord have mercy on me a sinner. I know that I need you. I need your forgiveness and grace. I need you to save me from my sin and myself. I believe you died for my sin and rose again Lord. Now forgive me for my sin against you, and for wanting to rule my life. I repent and turn from sin, and I now embrace you by faith Lord Jesus. Forgive me, and come into my life. I welcome you and receive you. I invite you Jesus to come and be my forgiver, my Leader, and My Lord. Come take control of me. Come and assume your rightful place on the throne of my life and fill me with your Spirit and power. Thank you Jesus. I confess you now as Lord. Amen.
Prayer 2 – A Prayer for Believers who want to live the Christ controlled/Spirit filled Life:
Father, I come to you in the name of Jesus. I do trust and believe Jesus is the Son of God who died for my sin and rose again. I am so thankful Jesus you have come into my life. Yet I am so sorry that I continue to fight you for control of my heart and life. I still seek to be in control and take the throne of my life. Forgive me Lord. I repent for refusing to allow you to control my life fully, and to be fully enthroned as the Lord of my life. Have mercy on me, because I cannot lead my life very well. I repent of my sin and self will, and I step off the throne of my life for this is your rightful place. I submit to your Lord Jesus. I give you full access to all of me. Come Lord Jesus and rule and reign over me. I ask you to fill me with the Holy Spirit and power. Change me. Mold me, and shape me to be more like your Son. I thank you God for your grace. I thank you Holy Spirit for your presence and power. In Jesus name. Amen.
(1) Surrender! Pray the prayers from the heart
(2) Learn to do a throne check at least once a day – who is on the throne of my life right now?